Back to the Basics
April 3-4, 2017,
Hosted by Nebraska State Historical Society
Nebraska History Museum, 131 Centennial Mall, North, Lincoln
Celebrate Nebraska’s Sesquicentennial with the Nebraska Museums Association in the Capitol City.
April 3, 2017
- 8:30-9:00, Registration
- 9:00am-12:00pm, Exhibit Design Workshop with Jennifer Menken, Assistant Curator of Exhibits, Bell Museum of Natural History
- As head of the museum’s Touch and See discovery room, Jennifer has developed many low-budget and quick turnaround exhibits, and expanded some of those into full gallery and even traveling exhibits. With budgets of a couple of hundred dollars to just over $20,000, she has learned to take advantage of the materials and resources that are available.We will spend the morning looking at great low budget exhibit examples. And then we will work through some tips and tricks on how to develop an exhibit, including taking advantage of what you have on hand, unusual material sources and uses, and suggestions as to how you should invest your limited resources.
- 12:00pm-1:00pm, Lunch (on your own)
- 1:00pm-5:00pm, Lincoln Museum & Attractions Tour
- 1:00pm-4:30pm, Helping Hands Volunteer Program NEW!
- Collections professionals from around the state are invited to donate their time & expertise. The Helping Hands program provides the benefit of museum professionals to an organization in need. This year we will be aiding the Nebraska State Historical Society on a project to clean and rehouse its glass plate legislative portrait collection. For more information or to sign up, please contact Libby Krecek, NMA Helping Hands Coordinator, at email@example.com.
- 6:00pm-8:00pm Evening Reception & Welcome
- Race on over to the Museum of American Speed a fun night of socializing among historic automobiles, vintage race equipment, and the world’s largest collection of exotic racing engines.
April 4, 2017
- 8:00am-9:00am Registration and Breakfast
- 9:00am-10:15am Keynote“Rethinking Museum Collections” Trevor Jones, Director & CEO, Nebraska State Historical Society.
- Jones offers new perspectives based on two decades of museum & historical organization experience.
- 10:45am-12:00pm Session 1
- A: Collections Basics with Laura Steinman (Arbor Lodge State Historical Park) and Ali Abler (Buffalo Bill Ranch State Historical Park)
- B: Community Engagement & Outreach with Sarah Feit (University of Nebraska State Museum) and Benjamin Clark (Boys Town Hall of History and Father Flanagan House)
- 12:00pm-1:00am Lunch & Business Meeting
- Speaker: Harris Payne, Social Studies Specialist, Nebraska Department of Education
- 1:30pm-3:00pm Session 2
- A: Archives Basic with Karen Keehr (Nebraska State Historical Society), Hilary LaFevere (NSHS Ford Conservations Center), and Mary Ellen Ducey (UNL Archives & Special Collections)
- B: Educational Programming with Nancy Round (Joslyn Art Museum) and Katie Karr (Hastings Museum)
- 3:15pm-4:30pm Session 3
- A: Digital Solutions For Museums with Mandy Haase-Thomas (University of Nebraska State Museum) and Karen Keehr (Nebraska State Historical Society)
- B: Roundtable, a moderated, open session to ask and answer your most burning questions!
Schedule subject to change
Early Registration Deadline: March 15, 2017
Book your group rate for Nebraska Museum Association Spring Conference 2017. NMA has reserved a block of rooms the Lincoln Marriott Cornhusker Hotel for $106 per night. Last day to book at this reduced rate is March 2, 2017.
Check out the Lincoln Convention and Visitors Bureau at Lincoln.org for additional info about your Lincoln visit.