#34 of 150 Nebraska Museums for the 150th
Fort Hartsuff State Historical Park Nebraska Game and Parks Commission
||1874 – 1881
||82034 Fort Ave.
||8:00 am – 5:00 pm Daily
|Link to website or Social Media:
|Special events or exhibits relating to Nebraska’s 150:
||2017 Spring Muster 150 Years of Statehood: Nebraska’s Anniversary of Entrance into the Union
||Located near Elyria, Fort Hartsuff is typical of Plains Infantry outposts. It stood as a buffer between settlers and Native Americans, and to protect the Pawnee from the war-like Sioux, in the North Loup River Valley from 1874 to 1881. Because the main fort buildings were constructed of a lime/concrete mixture, many have survived. Acquired as a historical park in 1961, it has been restored as it was when soldiers patrolled the North Loup and Cedar river valleys and pioneered a new trail to the Black Hills gold fields in the 1870’s.