Back by popular demand! NMA’s “Cataloging & Catching Up” has a new name and a new time. Monthly Museum Musings is the new name, and we will meet online via Zoom the 4th Friday morning of every month at 10:30am CST (9:30am MST) to discuss topics important to Nebraska Museums like the up-coming conference, how to use social media and technology to benefit your institution, educational programs going online, and many more! Hosts from across Nebraska Museums will to take turns hosting informal, round-table style chats via Zoom to talk about topics affecting Nebraska Museums. We might not have the answers, but let’s get together and share ideas.
Grab a cup of coffee or favorite snack, and join us for your morning break to discuss all thing Nebraska Museums.
Watch your monthly NMA Museum News membership for more information.
Up Coming Schedule:
- February 26, 2021, 10:30am CST: Tips and Tricks for Virtual Field Trips. With site closures and schools turning to virtual learning, the past year challenged Nebraska Museums to find new and innovative ways to reach audiences and share resources. Virtual Field Trips (VFT) have become a popular method of connecting with students and teachers. Are you curious about what to use and set? Or how to market virtual field trips? Do you want to learn about connecting to teachers and ESUs? Want to learn more how to do VFTs including ways to get students to interact with you?Join Katie Karr, Education Assistant and Volunteer Coordinator for the Hastings Museum, and Annie Mumgaard, Virtual Learning Coordinator for the University of Nebraska State Museum as they lead the NMA Monthly Museum Musing.
- March 26, 2021, 10:30am CST
- April 23, 2021, 10:30am CST
- May 28, 2021, 10:30am CST
- June 25, 2021, 10:30am CST
- July 23, 2021, 10:30am CST
- August 27, 2021, 10:30am CST
- September 24, 2021, 10:30am CST
- October 22, 2021, 10:30am CST
- November 26, 2021, 10:30am CST
- December 24. 2021, 10:30am CST
Please download and import the following iCalendar (.ics) files to your calendar system.
Previous Monthly Museum Musings
January 22, 2021: We discussed plans for the 2021 NMA Annual Meeting and Conference. The conference is tentatively scheduled for April 12-13 at the Nebraska Prairie Museum in Holdrege, NE. However, questions about social distancing and concerns over COVID-19 has the NMA board exploring our options. Should we postpone until fall? Go virtual? Or a combination? Zoom Recording.
September 25, 2020: How to Positively and Responsibly Deaccession from your Museum’s Collection. NMA members discussed how to positively and responsibly deaccession items from permanent collections, as well as utilizing “active” or “deliberate” collecting moving forward to minimize future deaccessioning. Zoom recording.
August 25, 2020: This month we continue to racial disparity issues, minority and racial representations in our museums, and how we can better represent those populations and cultures. Zoom recording.
July 24, 2020: This month, we will discuss racial disparity issues, minority and racial representations in our museums, and how we can better represent those populations and cultures. Zoom recording.
June 26, 2020: COVID-19 opening follow-up. An open discussion about what Nebraska museums have learned so far after reopening due to COVID-19 closures. Zoom recording.
May 2020: Hosted by Erin Hauser, director of the Saunders County Museum and NMA Vice-President. Erin will help lead the discussion about what Nebraska museums are doing to deal with the COVID-19 crisis and plans for re-opening to the public. Recording coming soon.