Museum of Nebraska Art (MONA) (Kearney, Nebraska)
The Museum of Nebraska Art, (MONA) in Kearney, (www.mona.unk.edu/mona) with a mission to celebrate the history of Nebraska’s visual art for diverse audiences, seeks a dynamic, engaging new leader to guide it into the future. This is an opportunity to lead a unique, financially stable museum with a statewide reach and exciting plans for the future. MONA opened in1986 and is the only museum exclusively dedicated to telling the story of Nebraska through the art of the state, and by extension it also tells the story of America. The museum is housed in Kearney’s 1911 Post Office, a neoclassical building listed on the National Register of Historic Places. MONA is a private nonprofit museum affiliated with the University of Nebraska at Kearney (UNK).
The director will have the opportunity to oversee a robust and growing collection; explore options for reaching new local and statewide audiences; partner with UNK to strengthen and expand the connection between the organizations; lead and inspire a hardworking, dedicated staff; be part of a community that supports the arts and culture, has a strong philanthropic presence, and a diverse and thriving economy; and be part of the statewide arts community. The new director will have a passion for American regional art; strong management, fundraising, communication, and organizational skills; the capacity to inspire and support a dedicated staff; and the desire to be the public face of the museum. MONA’s 38,000-square-foot facility includes long-term and changing exhibition galleries, education and program spaces, library and research center, sculpture garden, and museum shop. The collection of 5,000+ works reflects 200 years of Nebraska history, from the nineteenth-century through contemporary art and artists. Onsite and outreach exhibitions and programs reach 40,000+ local and statewide visitors annually. MONA has an operating budget of $1.5M, a $4.4M endowment, and seven full time and eight part time employees.
• Lead the development of exhibition, programming, and interpretive vision and strategies; oversee implementation.
• Develop and implement policies and procedures affecting all areas of the museum.
• Develop and monitor the budget.
• Hire and supervise paid and volunteer staff.
• Provide for stewardship of the collection and ensure that MONA has a strong buildings and
grounds management plan.
• Create development and marketing plans.
• Cultivate donor relationships; seek out support for operations, programming, and endowment.
• Partner with UNK administration and faculty to enhance the existing collaborative relationship.
• Serve as spokesperson and advocate for the museum locally and statewide.
• Work with Board and committees as appropriate.
Required knowledge and experience:
• MA/MS in Museum Studies/Arts Administration or similar degree. Background in art history;
American art preferred.
• Minimum of five years’ leadership experience in an art museum or similar setting.
• Experience in a community-based or regional museum desirable. Familiarity with academic
museums helpful but not required.
For a full job description and information on how to apply, contact search consultant Gail Nessell Colglazier: email@example.com. Application deadline: 8/12/19. EOE/Veterans/Disabled.
Have a Nebraska Museum job you would like to list, contact firstname.lastname@example.org