Legacy of the Plains Museum (Gering, Nebraska)
Location: Gering, Nebraska
Position Title: Executive Director
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Function: Director/Administration
Job Duration: Indefinite
Minimum Education: Master’s Degree
Minimum Experience: 4 – 8 Years
Description: Legacy of the Plains Museum (LPM) seeks a highly motivated, self-directed, community oriented, and museum professional to lead LPM through its next phase of development. The successful candidate will have demonstrated experience in institutional leadership, public awareness and marketing skills, building collaborative relationships with other organizations, and grant writing.
The Executive Director’s responsibilities will include leadership and management, overseeing daily operations, long-range planning, board relationships and guidance, budget and finance, collections, exhibits, external relationships, and staff and volunteer supervision.
LPM is a private non-profit created in 2013 from the merger of the North Platte Valley Museum and the Farm and Ranch Museum. Its mission is to collect, preserve, and interpret the history of the settlement and agriculture of the region for present and future generations. LPM is a destination for people interested in the Oregon, California, and Mormon trails, settlement and community development, and agricultural history in the North Platte Valley and High Plains region. In September 2016, LPM completed a 1.2 million exhibit gallery with interactive exhibits, four mini-theaters, six “kid” discovery nodes, and activity tables.
- Master Degree in Museum Studies, Public History, or History
- Four to eight years of museum work experience: administration, collections, exhibits
Skills and Abilities
- Strategic planning
- Communication skills to effectively present information and recommendations, both in oral and written form and at a professional business level.
- Public speaking skills in order to effectively present educational lectures and programs.
- Maintain relevant and up-to-date knowledge, skills, and ethics current to American Alliance of Museums (AAM), and American Association for State and Local History (AASLH)
- Customer service skills
- Microsoft Office applications
- iPad and other electronic equipment
- Salary is commensurate with Education and Experience
Send cover letter and resume by May 31, 2019, addressed to Personnel Committee Chair – Jodi Ruzicka via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Have a Nebraska Museum job you would like to list, contact email@example.com