The NMA encourages, equips and unites individuals and their organizations to elevate the cultural community of Nebraska.
- To improve and maintain communication among museums throughout Nebraska.
- To promote professional standards and development for museums and their staffs.
- To serve as an information source for local, state, and federal government and other decision-making authorities on issues relating to Nebraska museums.
- To promote the sharing of museum resources to benefit all Nebraskans.
- To promote the understanding of Nebraska history, culture and natural history through public education.
- To promote joint marketing of Nebraska museums to enhance their image as family and travel attractions.
- To disseminate information of importance to museums through production of a newsletter, seminars, annual meetings, and other educational activities.
- To cooperate with other professional organizations and associations both within and outside the state of Nebraska.
- To solicit and receive grants, conrtibutions, and other property, to enter into contracts, to engage needed personnel and services, and to transfer, hold, and invest such real property as may be required to carry out the purposes of the association.
- Tax exempt status: private, non-profit
- Governance structure: elected board
- Number of board members: 16
- Board function: advisory, policy, operations, service delivery, fund raising, advocacy
- Membership categories, dues: $15 / Fiscal Year (Jan. 1 – Dec. 31)
- Operating budget: $5,000 – $10,000
- Audit: biannual
- In-kind support: Free use of office equipment, museum staff allowed to do NMA business on museum’s time.